What should I do to the interior of my property, before I list it for sale?
Every room should look as spacious, bright, and warm as possible.
- Wash walls, ceilings, and trim. Consider painting with light, neutral colours. Repair cracks.
- Tighten loose knobs, towel racks, switch plates, and outlet covers.
- Fix tight doors and windows, squeaky floorboards, and loose stair banisters.
- Clean and repair caulking around tubs and sinks. Fix leaky faucets; remove water stains.
- Clean and organize the basement and attic. (This is a good opportunity to throw out all the bits and pieces you don’t want to move.)
- Organize closets. Get rid of the clutter. Limit the number of items stored overhead or on the floor.
- Clean out kitchen cabinets, and remove clutter from countertops.
- Clean drapes, blinds, and curtains. Shampoo carpets, and wax floors.
- Now’s a good time to spray for bugs.
- Arrange furniture to make rooms appear as spacious as possible.
- Remove any items you’re taking with you, such as chandeliers and mirrors.